I just celebrated a birthday, not any big milestone birthday , but closer to then end than the beginning for sure… as a “gift” to myself I booked several Dr’s appointments since I’ve been very bad about going to Dr’s for a bit now… I’ve had some bad experiences so I put it off and kept putting them off. So for my birthday , I booked an eye Dr, a heart Dr and a couple different Primary care Dr. appts.
So far I’ve only had the eye Dr. appointment which made me feel older. I’ve always had 20/20 or better vision, even though I think about everyone in my family has glasses or glaucoma or other eye issues.. I’ve been lucky.. until now.. my lovely wife kept telling me that I need glasses because I ask “what’s that say” for subtitles. Of course I was in complete denial. But it’s been over 7 years since my last check up eye exam.. so sure, why not have the Dr. tell her I don’t need glasses.
We made joint appointments and went together. The place was cool and let us do the full exam together. She won… and while the Dr. said everything is fine and looks great, and that I have healthy eyes and very large optic nerves ( abnormally large, but nothing to worry about at all – just interesting).. so yeah I have a small bit of myopia… and don’t need glasses but they would help with seeing things at distance….. I go today to put in the official order…I realize this is not remotely a bad thing or the end of the world… but it did cause me a moment of reflection so really it’s a good thing! My Myopia opened my eyes more 😉
So in my “I’m getting old” thinking, I started thinking about bucket lists.. if you know me, you know that I’ve already done most things that are on traditional people’s bucket lists.. I’ve raced cars & played poker semi-professionally, run into a burning building, saved a life, rescued a wild animal, climbed mountains, jumped out of helicopters, flown in tiny planes, and gliders, bungee jumped, ridden a wild horse – with its permission, “gentled” wild horses or green horses to create a partnership of trust, ridden bareback, trained dogs, held an eagle, rounded up and branded cattle in Hawaii and yes ate the freshest mountain oysters you’ve ever seen, hunted big game, flown in a hot air balloon, been arrested… etc…etc… many of those things multiple times. I’ve had some serious adventure in my life. So, when I started thinking of my bucket list, there were some things on it that were adventurous, but honestly my bucket list was more like a repeatable to-do list, I’ve done most of the things on it already, but you really can’t do too much of these things, in my opinion. Some I haven’t done yet, so they really are bucket list items. I’d love to get YOUR help in adding to my list, and maybe you’d even consider adding some to your “to-do / bucket list”.
Here’s my list so far, I’ve done most of these, but some are things that I am working on or are just every day “to-do” reminders for myself.
- Stand up to a bully
- Pick up trash on sidewalk/wherever – both when you are alone and in public
- Give someone different a compliment every day
- Smile and say HI! to a stranger
- Give someone a random gift without an expectation of anything in return
- Call a distant relative or senior family friend – just to chat and say Hi, I’m thinking of you.
- Go to a nursing home, ask to visit someone who doesn’t get visitors – just chat about their life & really listen.
- Volunteer at an animal or wildlife shelter/facility
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter
- Sing Karaoke – sober
- On a NON “veteran’s” holiday (AKA a regular day) – thank a vet for their service & welcome them home
- Bake a Pie or cook a casserole/lasagna dish and deliver to a neighbor that you don’t know that well
- Carry 5$ Gift cards ( I use Starbucks cards) and give to random people who look like they could use a kind gesture.
- Leave a note on a car in a parking lot wising the person a nice day, or saying something nice.
- Take a meal to a family/person you know fighting cancer. (we all know someone)
- Send someone a hand written letter in the mail
- Pick up the tab for a stranger on your way out of a restaurant – without letting them know.
- Go a full 24 hours without a single complaint. – it’s harder than it sounds.
- Hold someone’s hand (or hold them) while they are dying. – no one “wants” to do this I don’t think, but I hope someone is there to hold mine so I “assume” others want this as well.
There are so many other things, these are similar to just general random acts of kindness, but if I make it a “list” then I am more apt to do them regularly and once they become a “habit” then I’m on the way to real change outside of myself.
I’m looking for more though! Not just RAK ideas there are a million of those out there… I’m looking for bucket list items that can really make a difference in the world, not just things for “me”… like most “normal” bucket lists are things for yourself.. see the Eiffel tower, the Pyramids, the Parthenon, eat a worm (after finishing the bottle) – done it LOL, skydive… etc.. etc.. I have always been a “dare to be different” person… so if you think this list is just weird well Hi! I’m Mike, I’m weird and proud of that 😉 won’t you consider joining me in being weird, thinking outside of the box and come up with an idea for my list!
So friends, please hook me up with more ideas!
Stay Safe, Be Kind, Keep the Park Clean, Pay it forward, Make a Difference and One Love – http://wp.me/p2RcFA-3Z